Have you ever wondered why Bangladesh is becoming a hub for postgraduate diplomas? The answer lies in the country’s commitment to quality education and its strategic approach to meet the demands of the global job market.
In recent years, Bangladesh has seen a significant surge in the number of students pursuing postgraduate diplomas. This trend is not just a random occurrence but a calculated response to the evolving dynamics of the professional world.
In this article, we delve into the world of postgraduate diplomas in Bangladesh, exploring why they are gaining popularity and how they can propel your career to new heights. We’ll also shed light on the unique advantages of pursuing a postgraduate diploma in this vibrant country. So, if you’re contemplating furthering your education, sit tight and let us guide you through this exciting journey.
Post Graduate Diploma
Before we delve into the specifics of postgraduate diplomas in Bangladesh, it’s essential to understand what a postgraduate diploma is and its purpose.
A postgraduate diploma is an educational qualification awarded after a bachelor’s degree. It is typically a one-year full-time program but can also be pursued part-time over two years. The purpose of a postgraduate diploma is to provide specialized knowledge and skills in a particular field. It is designed for individuals looking to enhance their professional qualifications, change their career path, or delve deeper into a subject of interest without committing to a full master’s program.
Differences Between a Post Graduate Diploma and a Master’s Degree
While both a postgraduate diploma and a master’s degree are advanced levels of study pursued after a bachelor’s degree, there are key differences between the two:
- Duration: A master’s degree typically takes two years of full-time study, while a postgraduate diploma usually takes one year.
- Depth of Study: A master’s degree involves a more in-depth exploration of a subject, often including a research component such as a thesis. In contrast, a postgraduate diploma focuses on practical skills and industry-specific knowledge without the requirement of a thesis.
- Purpose: A master’s degree is often pursued by those looking to specialize in a field, conduct research, or progress to a doctoral program. On the other hand, a postgraduate diploma is ideal for those seeking to gain practical skills and knowledge to enhance their career prospects or switch careers.
- Cost: Generally, a postgraduate diploma is less expensive than a master’s degree due to its shorter duration.
Types of Post Graduate Diplomas in Bangladesh
Here are some popular Post Graduate Diplomas offered in Bangladesh along with a brief description of each:
- Post Graduate Diploma in Information Technology (PGDIT): This program is designed to provide in-depth knowledge in the field of Information Technology. It covers areas such as software development, database management, networking, and web technologies.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Computer Science and Engineering (PGDCSE): This program is designed for students who want to enhance their skills in the field of Computer Science and Engineering. It covers topics like advanced algorithms, data structures, computer networks, and software engineering.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Textile Engineering (PGDTE): This program is designed for students who want to gain advanced knowledge in the field of Textile Engineering. It covers areas such as textile manufacturing, textile design, and textile technology.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Telecommunication Engineering (PGDTE): This program is designed for students who want to gain advanced knowledge in the field of Telecommunication Engineering. It covers areas such as wireless communication, digital communication, and network security.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Software Engineering (PGDSE): This program is designed for students who want to gain advanced knowledge in the field of Software Engineering. It covers areas such as software development, software testing, and software project management.
Eligibility Criteria for Post Graduate Diplomas
Here are the eligibility criteria for Post Graduate Diplomas at Daffodil International University in Bangladesh:
Academic Qualifications: A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree (in any discipline) from a recognized university.
Work Experience Requirements: There is no specific work experience requirement mentioned for the Post Graduate Diplomas.
Admission Process for Post Graduate Diplomas
The admission process for postgraduate diplomas in Bangladesh can vary from one institution to another. However, the general process typically includes the following steps:
- Application Process: The first step is to fill out an application form. This can usually be done online through the university’s official website. The application form requires personal details, academic qualifications, and any relevant work experience.
- Submission of Required Documents: Along with the application form, you will need to submit certain documents. These usually include academic transcripts, proof of graduation, and identification documents. Some institutions may also require letters of recommendation.
- Entrance Exams or Interviews: Depending on the institution and the specific program, you may be required to take an entrance exam or attend an interview. The purpose of this is to assess your suitability for the program.
- Selection Criteria: The selection criteria can vary depending on the program and the institution. Generally, it is based on your academic performance, entrance exam or interview results, and any relevant work experience.
Top Institutions Offering Post Graduate Diplomas in Bangladesh
Choosing the right institution for your postgraduate diploma is a crucial step in your academic journey. Here are some of the top institutions in Bangladesh that offer postgraduate diplomas, along with the courses they offer and their reputation and ranking:
|Institution||Courses Offered||Reputation and Ranking|
|BiMS||Post Graduate Diploma in Human Resource Management (PGDHRM), Post Graduate Diploma in Supply Chain Management (PGDSCM)||BiMS is the first institute in Bangladesh to launch globally recognized postgraduate diploma courses. It has been accredited by the International Accreditation Organization (IAO) and the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport (CILT). It has also received awards from the World Education Congress and the Asian Confederation of Businesses¹.|
|University of Dhaka||Post Graduate Diploma in International Relations (PGDIR)||University of Dhaka is the oldest and largest public university in Bangladesh. It is ranked 1st in Bangladesh and 801-1000 in the world by QS World University Rankings 2022². It has a prestigious faculty and alumni, including several Nobel laureates, heads of state, and prominent scholars. The Department of International Relations offers the PGDIR program for graduates who want to pursue a career in diplomacy, foreign service, international organizations, or academia³.|
|BRAC University||Post Graduate Diploma in Disaster Management (PGDDM), Post Graduate Diploma in Development Studies (PGDDS)||BRAC University is a private university established by BRAC, the world’s largest non-governmental organization. It is ranked 4th in Bangladesh and 1001-1200 in the world by QS World University Rankings 2022². It has a strong focus on social innovation and development, and offers postgraduate diploma programs in disaster management and development studies for professionals who want to enhance their skills and knowledge in these fields.|
Career Opportunities after Post Graduate Diploma
Post Graduate Diplomas are designed to provide specialized knowledge and skills that can open up a wide range of career opportunities. Here are some insights into the job roles, salary expectations, and future prospects for Post Graduate Diploma holders.
Job Roles and Industries
Post Graduate Diploma holders can find opportunities in various sectors depending on their field of study. For instance, a Post Graduate Diploma in Human Resource Management can lead to roles such as HR Manager, Recruitment Specialist, or Training and Development Manager. Similarly, a Post Graduate Diploma in Supply Chain Management can open up roles such as Supply Chain Analyst, Logistics Manager, or Procurement Specialist.
The salary expectations for Post Graduate Diploma holders can vary greatly depending on the industry, the specific role, and the individual’s prior experience. While it’s challenging to provide a specific figure without these details, it’s generally observed that Post Graduate Diploma holders tend to earn higher salaries compared to those with only an undergraduate degree. This is due to the advanced skills and knowledge they acquire through their postgraduate studies.
Career Growth and Future Prospects
Post Graduate Diplomas can significantly enhance career growth and future prospects. They equip individuals with specialized knowledge and skills, making them valuable assets in their respective industries. Furthermore, these diplomas can also serve as a stepping stone towards further academic pursuits, such as a Master’s degree.
As the famous quote by Nelson Mandela goes, “Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” A Post Graduate Diploma is not just a certificate; it’s a testament to your commitment to continuous learning and professional growth. So, whether you’re looking to advance in your current field or pivot to a new industry, a Post Graduate Diploma can be a valuable asset in your career journey.
A Post Graduate Diploma in Bangladesh is more than just an academic achievement; it’s a passport to a world of opportunities. It equips you with specialized knowledge and skills, opening doors to advanced career paths and higher earning potential. But more than that, it’s a testament to your commitment to lifelong learning and professional growth.
In a rapidly evolving global economy, the ability to adapt and continually update one’s skills is invaluable. A Post Graduate Diploma offers the opportunity to do just that. It allows you to delve deeper into your chosen field, stay abreast of the latest developments, and stand out in the competitive job market.
So, as you consider your next step in the journey of education, remember that a Post Graduate Diploma is not just an investment in your career, but an investment in yourself. As the saying goes, “An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest.”
Post Graduate Diploma (FAQs)
What are the post graduate diploma courses in Bangladesh?
Post Graduate Diploma courses in Bangladesh cover a wide range of fields. Some popular ones include Post Graduate Diploma in Information Technology (PGDIT), Post Graduate Diploma in Computer Science and Engineering (PGDCSE), Post Graduate Diploma in Textile Engineering (PGDTE), Post Graduate Diploma in Telecommunication Engineering (PGDTE), and Post Graduate Diploma in Software Engineering (PGDSE).
Which is the best PGD in Bangladesh?
The “best” Post Graduate Diploma in Bangladesh would depend on your specific interests and career goals. However, some highly recognized PGDs are offered by institutions like the University of Dhaka, BRAC University, and BiMS. These include courses in Human Resource Management, Supply Chain Management, International Relations, Disaster Management, and Development Studies.
What is a post graduate diploma equal to?
A Post Graduate Diploma is an advanced level of study pursued after a bachelor’s degree. It is typically a one-year full-time program that provides specialized knowledge and skills in a particular field. While it is not equivalent to a master’s degree, it is considered higher than a bachelor’s degree.
Is post graduate diploma same as diploma?
No, a Post Graduate Diploma is not the same as a diploma. A diploma is generally a qualification that can be pursued after high school, while a Post Graduate Diploma is an advanced level of study that is pursued after completing a bachelor’s degree. The key difference lies in the level of study and the depth of knowledge and skills acquired.
What are the requirements for UK applicants for Post Graduate Diplomas in Bangladesh?
UK applicants for Post Graduate Diplomas in Bangladesh typically need to have a recognized Bachelor’s degree. However, specific requirements may vary depending on the institution and the course. It’s always recommended to check with the specific institution for the most accurate information.
Can UK applicants apply online for Post Graduate Diplomas in Bangladesh?
Yes, UK applicants can typically apply online for Post Graduate Diplomas in Bangladesh. Most institutions have an online application process where applicants can submit their application form and required documents. However, it’s best to check the specific application process of the institution you’re interested in.